Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mystery Dot Coin  (Read 3150 times)

Massanutten

Mystery Dot Coin
« on: September 10, 2004, 04:08:20 pm »
I haven't a clue.  I thought it might be Celtic, but I sent a picture of it to a dealer in those coins and they thought it was probably Indian.
Anyway, If anyone has a thought, I'd really appreciate hearing it.
Regards, Bob Porter

Since I don't know how to combine pictures I'll put the other side in a reply.

Massanutten

Re:Mystery Dot Coin
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 04:09:32 pm »
Other side.

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 05:36:50 pm »
It's an imitation of the sassanid drachm of Xusro II made in India. It's also called indo sassanian drachm

Massanutten

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 07:06:15 pm »
WOW!    Thank you.   One question:  Why do you say it is a copy?
Best regards, Bob Porter

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 03:03:32 am »
by "copy"  i mean that india population imitated the drachm of xusro ii, it's not a  fake. The coins is original. It's  dated between 8th and 10th century if i remember well

Massanutten

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 11:35:49 am »
yafet_rasnal,
   Thank you.  I was beginning to think that I would never be able to identify this coin.   Your attribution is greatly appreciated.
Best regards, Bob

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 06:43:01 pm »
This type of coin is called a Gadhaiya Paisa.  Yours was minted by the Chaulukya of Gujarat late in the series, around 1120 to 1210 AD, according to Deyell in "Living Without Silver."

Girish sharma

Re: Mystery Dot Coin
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 04:26:41 pm »
This is an indo -sassanian AR coin.Mostly found in madhya pradesh and rjaasthan states of India.It is localy called as "Gadheiya"(donkey type) and found in Various types /weights and metals .It is 300-400 AD to 800 AD coin.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 06:07:37 am »
This is an indo -sassanian AR coin.Mostly found in madhya pradesh and rjaasthan states of India.It is localy called as "Gadheiya"(donkey type) and found in Various types /weights and metals .It is 300-400 AD to 800 AD coin.

You need to recheck your dates.  They are way off!  This coin is based on a Sasanian coin that was issued around 500 AD or later.  Mitchnier starts this series of coins with the Imperial Pratiharas (Gurjura Partiharas) in 730 to 836 AD and continues to around 1300 AD.  This dates also agree with Deyell's dating of these coins.

Massanutten

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 10:33:07 am »
   I'm so unfamiliar with these coins that I feel like Alice must have after following the white rabbit.  I've tried to google the clues and a dim light came on that I do not know is correct.  Am I correct that this is a highly stylized bust with a fire altar reverse? The pictures I posted were simply set and shot.  Am I correct that I accidently placed the obverse as the first picture in this post?  If you have the patience could you also advise the proper orientation for each side? I would be grateful for any advise received!  Respectfully, Bob.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 06:05:19 pm »
Hi Bob,

Yes you have placed the obverse as the first coin.  Yes, you have them oriented correctly.  Yes, the obverse shows a stylized bust and the reverse a stylized fire altar.  You can even see the crescent at the top left that was normally found on these coins during the late Sasanian period.

Here is a web site with some more images of these coins.
http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/india/ancientindia4.html

Massanutten

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »
   Ha!!  Believe me my friend, my correct display of the coin was totally by accident. Unless my inner eye was seeing something??  I have a Sassanian Shapur, but in no way would I have made a conscious connection between that coin and this.  Now my pleasant task is where to put it in my album!!!!   Many thanks, Bob

All coins are guaranteed for eternity