Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine II with Alexandria Reverse? (unlisted w/pics for Lech)  (Read 2448 times)

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
Hi- someone from my coin group recommended I try these forums for help on this one- if anyone can enlighten me with an RIC # I would very much appreciate it. This lil guy has had me stumped for some time.

Obverse:

FLCLCONSTANTINVSNOBCAES, laureate bust right

Reverse:

IOVICONSER-VATORICAESS, with wreath above X above B in the right field and K in the left field and eagle at Jupiter’s feet, holding globe with Victory and ALE in the exergue

[BROKEN IMAGE LINKS REMOVE BY ADMIN]

Thank you Kelly!!  ;D

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
Re: Constantine II with Alexandria Reverse?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:16:33 pm »
Emperor: Constantine II   
Obverse: FL CL CONSTANTINVS NOB C     
Reverse: IOVICONSER-VATORICAESS   
Exergue: ALE     
Right Fieldwreath above X above B in the right field
Left Field: and K in the left field (above eagle)
City: Alexandria 

I know that much is correct- I just cant find it anywhere in RIC  :) 

roscoedaisy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:24:28 pm »
It's very similar to a coin struck for Crispus and Licinius Jr (RIC VII 20 & 21).

RIC 20:
FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES
IOVICONSER-VATORI-CAESS
ALE
K in left above eagle
wreath above X above A

RIC 21:
VAL CONSTANTINVS LICINIVS N CAES
IOVICONSER-VATORI-CAESS
ALE
K in left above eagle
wreath above X above A or B

This must be unlisted -- it would belong as #22 if that weren't already used.  Cool coin.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:22:55 pm »
Confirmed! Coin is unlisted and has VERY rare obverse legend. Known only for gold medallion from Ticinum (RIC VII TICINUM 99) minted in 320. Roscoedaisy is right - coin should be listed after ALEXANDRIA 21. Congratulations, Arizonarobin!!! Could you take a better picture? I would like to show your coin on my NOT IN RIC page.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Kelly

• Consul
  • Too many coins, not enough time.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 04:46:32 pm »
Congratulations Robin!! 
You never know when these little jewels will appear.
Best of everything,
Kelly

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:13:55 pm »
Lech-
I just got my certificate and coin back  and <attempted> to take a new picture.  I just can't seem to get the hang of picture taking though  :-[

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine II with Alexandria Reverse? (unlisted w/pics for Lech)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 10:06:48 pm »
   As Bruun points out in RIC, the neat things about the coins of the Caesars in this issue at Alexandria are
(1) their rarity: 1 recorded for Crispus, 2 for Licinius II, and now 1 for Constantine II.
(2) the odd forms of their names, obviously because this was their first appearance in the coinage.  No D N preceding their names, though this was normal from the next issue on; and Licinius II gets his praenomen CONSTANTINVS, "only rarely used".
(3) Finally, the appearance of the Caesars in this issue proves that the first civil war between Constantine and Licinius took place in 316 not 314 as previously thought, because we know the Caesars were elevated on 1 March 317, but THE VERY SAME ISSUE at Alexandria contains the very rare coins of Valens, whom Licinius I made co-emperor during the war with Constantine.  An issue that certainly continued until after 1 March 317 is unlikely to have started any earlier than the year before, 316!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity