Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barbarous Diocletian tet or die error?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline tjaart

• IMPERATOR
  • Consul
Barbarous Diocletian tet or die error?
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »
Hi,

In a recent lot of Alexandrian tetradrachms, I found the following tet:

Obv: Diocletian
Rev: Elpis standing left, holding flower and skirt, AI-L across
18mm, 7.0g.

What struck me was the the year was in reverse. Usually it should be L-IA. I have two questions:

1. Is this a sign of a ancient barbarous tet or just a mint/die error?
2. Are there any imitative Alexandrian tets known?

I've not seen something similar in looking at hundreds of tets. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this one.

Thanks!

Tjaart

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Barbarous Diocletian tet or die error?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »
Tjaart:

Just a mint error. Yours is Dattari 5686.

There are a few imitative contemporary forgeries, for a number of different rulers. The contemporary (ancient) ones usually seen are the Nero (and Hadrian) ones. You can find a number in the Dattari/Savio book. Coins with a retrograde L (with other retrograde letters) are found on coins of a number of rulers. I can see find at least 12 other Diocletian coins with retrograde date letters.

There are more modern forgeries.

Iwaniw

Offline tjaart

• IMPERATOR
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:16 am »
Thanks Iwaniw, I appreciate the info. I was just wondering as I've seen retrograde letters on other coins but not a full reverse of year letters. Is Dattari available online somewhere?

Was there any specific reason for using retrograde letters?

Thanks!

Tjaart

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:52:01 am »
Tjaart:

Many of the retrograde dates are likely engraving errors but some are done deliberately, for example the year 11 Tyche standing of Gallienus-- multiple reverse dies. Why, I do not know.

Dattari is not online, as far as I know.

Iwaniw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity