Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: interesting weight  (Read 1138 times)

Offline marcos x

• Consul
interesting weight
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:14:54 pm »
I have what im pretty sure is a scale weight with countermarks all over it,
 I was wondering if anybody else has ever seen one like this before? I can see a letter S countermark and others.its almost tootsie roll type shape
perhaps Byzantine? its from the eastern med.
weighs about 32.3 grams
when I die make sure to put two coins on my eyes for the boatman......make sure they are not fouree's

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: interesting weight
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:27:43 pm »
likely a hanging weight and the loop is broken off the left side as it is in the picture. I have seen some Roman hanging weights but many are are attributed to be Judean. 32 gms is a off weight not sure what to think of that. If Byzantine it would be a commercial weight and possibly used as a unique weight for some unknown trade item.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity