Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Am I blind?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Am I blind?
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
Am I blind? This is an AE27 of Severua Alexander&Julia Mamaea from Markianopolis, Demeter with grain-ears and torch stg. l.
Not in AMNG; Varbanov (engl.) 1823; HrJ (2011) 6.34.5.2

I read always AVT KM AVR CEVH ALEZANDROC IOVLI MAMAIA, with IOVLI not IOVLIA! What do you read?

Thanks in advance

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Am I blind?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:23 pm »
Jochen,

You are correct!

The reading IOVLI on this rare obv. die is clear enough to remove any doubt on CNG E238, 11 Aug. 2010, lot 219, which is incidentally also from the same rev. die as your coin.

PS. I first noticed the reading IOVLI myself, but with a query, when I bought a nice coin from the same die pair from Pagane, eBay, 13 July 2006. I was then glad to see the CNG piece confirming that reading four years later, in August 2010!
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Am I blind?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »
Thanks! Then the appointment with the ophthalmologist can be moved.

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity