Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new anonymous Rep. quinarius (main guess is Crawford 44/6) added  (Read 1067 times)

Offline labienus

• Caesar
Hi,

I just added a new anonymous quinarius. A lower (although still decent) quality vs the MT type (CRfd 103/2a) but very interesting in terms of ID (which, I guess, is the right one - Andrew or others will certainly confirm or infirm that -) as :
- the dealer was for CRfd 45/2 (but I strongly disagree due to the shape of the nose on the observe)
- the overall shape of the helmet (early type) and of Roma's face was in favor of 44/6 (RBW n° 188 or CRfd n°23 plate IX)
- I still have some minor hesitations due to the legend on the observe as we have ROMA in relief and tablet whilst Crawford says (for 44/6) "always in linear frame".

So, main guess is 44/6. Alternatives could (?) be 47/1a (RBW n° 196) or, even, 48/1 (RBW n° 198) but I'm perplexed for the helmet in those latest references.
Could have posted it first in the ID section but came along here at the end of the day. Please don't hesitate to discuss it.

Weight (2,30 grs) is consistent with the standard weight of the denarius (in the 4,5 grs range) for each potential type.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-80622

All coins are guaranteed for eternity