Resources > The Members' Gallery

My Taras collection

(1/60) > >>

Enodia:
Greetings all,

With 15 coins from Taras now in my collection I've decided it was time to start a separate thread, so my Taras gallery can be found here...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3132

This one is my latest addition, a confusing little fraction which I've finally decided is a hemilitra. the dual standard system used at Taras makes attribution difficult at times, and the change in weights through the course of its' history confuses the issue even more. But all the information I've been able to glean suggests that this is the proper denomination.

~ Peter

Enodia:
this also arrived today...
Taras: Its History and Coinage, by George C. Brauer.

i'm in the middle of a Sharpe novel at the moment so it'll be a day or two before i can really dive into this, but as soon as the musket smoke clears...   :)

~ Peter

Enodia:
Taras: Its History and Coinage, by George C. Brauer.

i finished this last week, and found it to be an informative and enjoyable read. there were a few things i didn't know at all, but the real value to me was the way it provided a continuity to all the internet factoids i have been able to accumulate. seeing these details fit into an historical flow was priceless to me. in addition, each chapter ends with a discussion of the coins of that period.
i recommend this book for any enthusiast of the coinage of Magna Graecia, and especially of Taras (of course).

on a similar note i am currently in the middle of Harold Lamb's Hannibal (1958).
while ostensibly a work of historical fiction, this book reads more like a commentary with a few fictional dialogues thrown in to tie up the loose ends. very readable and informative if you are a fan of The Scourge of Rome, but more topical for me is the way it delved into Hannibal's relationship with the Greeks of southern Italy, and that brings us back to Taras once again. very complimentary as a follow-up to the above book, but recommended on it's own right too.

however i am still not entirely sated, so i am still on the prowl for another good history of Taras.
the (re)search continues...

~ Peter

Molinari:
Very nice gallery, I especially like the Sicilian bronzes!

Nick

Enodia:
thanks Nick, i appreciate that.
i just added the Artemis Soteira, my fist Sicilian in 20 years!

~ Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version