Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justinianus II I want share here  (Read 788 times)

ali c

Justinianus II I want share here
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:01:01 pm »
hi I will star share on here and we can talk maybe on this who know abouth  value

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Re: Justinianus II I want share here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:18 am »
Don't know about value but it is a lovely coin.  One of the first to depict JC I believe. 

Interesting side note, I just finished reading a novel about Justinian II written by Harry Turtledove.  I found it fun reading b/c early Byz history has always been a interest of mine and you don't find many novels about that subject!

Arka

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:03:20 am »
Per farsi un'idea due esemplari sono presenti nella prossima asta Triton della CNG (lotto 1609 e 1610).

Arka

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:15 am »
If you are curious about value, you might want to find out and post the size and weight of the coin.  I think they struck this design in different denominations (solidus and tremissis).

ali c

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
it is 1.32 Gr I found  my self..

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
Quite the find!  I am still very much a novice regarding byzantine gold but I believe the weight makes it a tremissis?

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »
Hi,

the type is tremissis, Constantinople mint, Sear 1419. The standard weight is at about 1.48 g, so your coin has been clipped a little bit.

Even without knowing the weight and the diameter it can be identified as a tremissis because the nominal is encoded in the cross the emperor holds in his right hand.

For solidi:              cross potent on steps
For semisses:       cross on globe
For tremisses:       cross potent (no steps)

On the pictures it looks very nice and it has the authentic style. (For being more confident about authenticity one needs larger pictures.)

A price tag for this rare coin in such a nice condition: I guess it can reach $2000 at auction, but larger pictures would also be helpful here.

byzcoll

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:59 pm »
Thanks for the information Byzcoll! Obvsiously this isn't my thread but as you may be able to surmise I am just starting to learn more about eastern Roman AV's with the idea that someday I'll have the funds to put a collection together.  Have to say your posts are extremely helpful.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity