Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Liber. Libera.  (Read 1885 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Liber. Libera.
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:41:26 pm »
Acquired two headed RR for my collection. Nice and practical coin if you like to play heads or tails. You will always win. Forget your old pocket piece and get one of these.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-73772
From Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. William Smith, Boston, 1867.
Liber: this name, or Liber pater, is frequently applied by the Roman poets to the Greek Bacchus or Dionysus, who was accordingly regarded as identical with the Italian Liber. Cicero (de Nat. Deor. ii. 62), however, very justly distinguishes between Dionysus (the Greek Liber) and the Liber who was worshipped by the early Italians in conjunction with Ceres and Libera. Liber and the feminine Libera were ancient Italian divinities, presiding over the cultivation of the vine and fertility of the fields; and this seems to have given rise to the combination of their worship with that of Ceres. A temple of these three divinities was vowed by the dictator, A. Postumius, in BC 496, near the Circus Flaminius; it was afterwards restored by Augustus, and dedicated by Tiberius. (Tac. Ann. ii. 49; Dionys. vi. 17.) The most probable etymology of the name Liber is from liberare; Servius (ad Virg. Georg. i. 7) indeed states that the Sabine name for Liber was Loebasius, but this seems to have been only an obsolete form for Liber, just as we are told that the ancient Romans said loebesus and loebertas for the later forms liber(us) and libertas. (Paul. Diac. p. 121, ed. Müller.) Hence Seneca (de Tranq. Anim. 15) says, "Liber dictus est quia liberat servitio curarum animi;" while others, who were evidently thinking of the Greek Bacchus, found in the name an allusion to licentious drinking and speaking. (Macrob. Sat. i. 18; August, de Civ. Dei, vi. 9 ; Paul. Diac. p. 115.) Poets usually call him Liber pater, the latter word being very commonly added by the Italians to the names of gods. The female Libera was identified by the Romans with Cora or Persephone, the daughter of Demeter (Ceres), whence Cicero (de Nat. Deor. ii. 62) calls Liber and Libera children of Ceres; whereas Ovid (Fast, iii. 512) calls Ariadne Libera. The festival of the Liberalia was celebrated by the Romans every year on the 17th of March.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Liber. Libera.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »
benito,

That's an interesting discourse on how the ancient gods were developed and how they evolved over time.

Great coin, too!

Thanks for that!

mz

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:27:14 pm »
THanks Mark.
RRs are always interesting  with historical or mythological significance. Now that I'm almost finished with the different Gens I am trying to amass coins to complete the  different monneyers . This will take time and if I don't finish my son ( could be my grandson ) will. I hope.
Have you tried the veil ?

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »
THanks Mark.
RRs are always interesting  with historical or mythological significance. Now that I'm almost finished with the different Gens I am trying to amass coins to complete the  different monneyers . This will take time and if I don't finish my son ( could be my grandson ) will. I hope.
Have you tried the veil ?

The veil?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity