Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Some new Greeks  (Read 4708 times)

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul
Some new Greeks
« on: April 07, 2003, 11:51:30 am »
Hello All,

I thought I would show a couple of coins I picked up at the coin show this past weekend. The first one is from an uncertain mint I believe in Caria. It is only 6x7mm and .3 grams! Does anyone else collect these small fractions?

Eric

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul
Re:Some new Greeks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 11:52:59 am »
The second coin is a hemidrachm of Rhodes. The scanner for some reason cannot pick up the details of the reverse. but here it is...

Eric

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 06:34:13 pm »
Great coins Eric  :D.  The small one amazes me with its tiny self.  Both are very nice.

Roger

Xerburous

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 11:55:35 pm »
WOW, how do you supose they kept track of those small coins, they would be easy to drop and loose, must have been small denominations in those days. Well they are fabulous little coins, I did not until now have a real sence of the scale these types occupy until I saw the penny :) very tiny, but you have to admitt the celtors were useing microscopes or something to do that kind of work.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 12:00:29 am »
There is a whole heap of speculation that the celators used magnifying glasses. And ive heard they have been finding lots of concave or convex or whatever glasses in archealogical digs recently.
                                     LordBest. 8)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 12:01:16 am »
Here is my tiniest. It is 6.5 mm and .25gms :o a Colophon Hemiobol from around 500 BC

Xerburous

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 12:15:11 am »
Thats so small, well I think I'll look into getting a few just to add as conversation pieces. They are neat little things... ;D

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 01:08:08 am »
Nice coin JD. Doug Smith has a page about these..I think his smallest is .05grams!! Now that is tiny. Here is his webpage.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dougsmit/tiny.html

Eric

All coins are guaranteed for eternity