Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius and a Civic Tyche  (Read 498 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Septimius and a Civic Tyche
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:27:36 pm »
This makes two difficult unidentified coins that I have, and I ought not to be distracted by them right now. 
Inspired by the Pella Civic Goddess currently posted here for discussion, I saw that probably I had a civic Tyche, not a dogless Hades-Serapis or an eagleless Zeus.  So I started to hunt, but I can't find one with a Septimius Head to r. of this size (maximum D. 25mm and Wt. 9.31g., axis 6h).  Amphipolis, however, does have one for almost every 2nd c. emperor, though Septimius' is a bust, though Pella is out of the question.
(1) I can't recall seeing a Septimius in just this style: good style, too.
(2) Though I think the personification on the reverse is indeed feminine, the tall thing standing in front of (to our side of) her throne (but what sort of throne?) is...a column, with something on top?, a very tall torch, aflame?, a stripped tree-trunk?  But why any of those?  As for Tyche, she does wear the small kalathos.
(3) It may be justifiable to read the reverse legend as:
 :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Mu: [ :Greek_Phi::Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_Omicron:       :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_omega_small: :Greek_Nu:
with the broad letters very sprawling, splayed.
Anyway, here it is to be shared.
Does anyone know it?
Pat L.
CLICK IMAGES FOR BETTER DEFINITION

Offline jon gress

• Praetorian
Re: Septimius and a Civic Tyche
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:34 pm »
It appears to be similar to this example on CA, though yours is a bit heavier.

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Jon

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:58:28 pm »
Voilà!  Only, 9.31–6.93=2.38 grams difference in weight seems too much.  So is the exBurstein (CA) specimen also, say, 21 or 22 mm in diameter?  I think mine is a larger module.  Gaebler's AMNG III for Macedonia does not list these in detail.  I'll get BMC at the library and see what they have.  I think the anomalous throne, however, has been explained by pscipio (in email) as just that: anomalous.
Pat L.
With pscipio's permission, here is the image he sent to me, same obv die, intermediate diam. and wt.:

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:53 pm »
B. V. Head in BMC Macedonia lists only one Septimius Head, no. 126, which must be the one posted twice here.  He lists it as D.=.9".  Fine; that's about 24mm.  But he lists it with the reverse with a star under the throne.  Mine has no star but those anomalies in the throne.  Since BMC Macedonia has no halftones and very few linecuts, I can only guess that my coin may use the rev. die he lists for Caracalla's (J. Domna's has a mark of her own), especially since the AMPhIPO on mine may be regarded as continuous as on Caracalla's.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity