Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rosh or No Rosh  (Read 38 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Rosh or No Rosh
« on: Yesterday at 09:12:56 am »
2.074g, 14.4mm, 12:00 die axis. The consignor says Hendin 6168, with Rosh in the inscription.  I am not certain and think it may be Hendin 6174, without Rosh in the inscription. Anyone feel confident either way? Anyone know of a good method or methods to distinguish between the two when the inscription is a bit obscure like this one? Thanks!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Rosh or No Rosh
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:32:27 am »
I think this one is a "rosh" type; I have illustrated the RW[Sh] that I see on the attached picture. (I have shown the letter forms here as I see them, not as they "should be".)

Usually in situations like this, I try to fit the expected inscription with the letters that I can see more clearly. For example, YHWHNN is easy to see. After this, we could have HKHN, KHN, or the like. The two vertical lines we see on line 2 would most likely be the kaf and nun of HKHN. And so on, in this manner.

The kaf and nuns appear as vertical lines, as mentioned, and this is consistent with other "square-type" Hasmonean inscriptions.

It is worth noting that the resh of RWSh is open on the top, like the resh in HBR, and on other RWSh types. Additionally, the aleph looks very much like a waw, which is also the usual form.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:57:12 am »
Dear Joe!

My suggestion is the following: The yellow letters from right to left are:
(1) Lamed (last letter of GDL)
(2) Resh
(3) Aleph
(4) Shin (in yellow circle, only faint)

So it is the variant with ROSH

Kind regards
Jochen

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:43:57 am »
Thanks Aarmale and Jochen. I can see it now (with your help of course).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity