Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

Tribute Penny

<< < (2/6) > >>

commodus:
Except, of course, that very few (if almost any) of these denarii ever saw circulation in Judaea. Therein lies the problem for me.

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: commodus on April 05, 2008, 12:04:09 pm ---Except, of course, that very few (if almost any) of these denarii ever saw circulation in Judaea. Therein lies the problem for me.

--- End quote ---

Jesus only needed one.  :)

Hydatius:

--- Quote from: Rupert on April 05, 2008, 11:48:25 am ---And since about 99% of Tiberius' denarii are of this type, IMHO there are far sillier or, at least, less appropriate names for coins.

--- End quote ---

Okay, this is the answer to my question (and it exposes my ignorance of Tiberian coinage). I just did a quick search of Coin Archives and it does in fact seem to be the case that almost all of Tiberius' denarii have the same obverse and reverse. What I couldn't understand was why *this particular* denarius was called a tribute penny. If they are all the same then there is no other type and it makes sense.  Sorry to have stirred up any ill feelings.

Richard

Rupert:
What I do not know is to which extent people in this province paid higher sums of money in Roman denarii, or rather in local Provincial silver. Except of course for the Temple Tax, which had to be paid in Tyrian shekels, hence the presence of money changers in the temple.
Here's the other, earlier denarius type of Tiberius (picture from Coinarchives).

Rupert

gavignano:
I also think the highest probability is that the coin in the Bible account was a Tiberius denarius. And although a Livia reverse isn't my first idea of a great reverse, the fact that Tiberius is among the earliest of the Big 12 (Caesars, not apostles  :)    ), I think it is only somewhat "pricey." Its a coin any collector of denarii by portrait of the early empire would want.  Demand is the biggest influence on "priceability." And fianlly, the prices on the other denarii of Tiberius are WAY out of my zone! Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version