Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins Discussion Forum

Celtic Coin of the Day

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kernos:
The Cunobelinos AV stater is common but also very popular. They go from $400 to $2000 depending on condition and particular type.

The ATEVLA AR unit is $800-900 mainly because of its superior condition and large flan.

The East Celt TD is much more difficult. It is in superior condition ($2000++), the flaw is a plus or minus depending on one's ideas about such things. If I had the money I would certainly give US$2K for it. It would be intrestin gto see how it did in a major auction.

As in all coins, condition in Celtic coins is everything and gold just keeps increasing in price. Personally I like bronze best and silver next. IMO, nothing beats a beautiful AE

Bill

Kernos:
Here is another example of the Jugate BIATEC hexadrachm:

Jugate heads right, one laureate, the other helmeted, vine leaves in field, scalloped border

Naked male on horseback right holding branch and shield, vines in field, BIATEC below exergual line, scalloped border

Kostial 62; Göbl, Gross Boier plate 2 II/I; de la Tour cf. 10170

Supposedly this obverse of this coin is copied from a denarius of Q. Fufius Kalenus and Mucius Cordus,  70 BCE, RSC Fufia 1, Craw 403/1, Syd 797) and the head representing Honos and Virtua or Apollo and Mars. They are NOT the Dioscuri, so not related to Cordia 1 as some have suggested.

The vines in the fieldsremind me of stylistically of the vines on the Gundestrup Cauldron making me wonder if these are Dacian or Thracian rather than Celtic. I wonder if there is any modern data about this series.

I have always wanted a DEVIL multi-drachm (or a decent picture), but have never seen one for sale!

Happy Holidays,

Bill Blank

gallienus1:

A Celtic coin OTD thread is a great idea. Here is one of mine, a base silver stater from the Channel Islands. I know these are supposed to be fairly common, but you don’t see them for sale all that often (there seems to be only one available in the V Coins Mall currently) Years ago, the dealer told me it was “similar to Sear 110”. Unfortunately, the relief is so high it won’t scan that well so I had to really hit the “sharpen” button a few times to try and do it justice.

Steve

ROMA:
I came across this one, pretty neat!

CELTIC, Middle Danube. Uncertain tribe. Late 2nd-early 1st century BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 12.47 g, 10h). Variety of Reiterstumpf/Kroisbach type. Male head (Apollo?) left / Rider on horseback left, showing only his torso; torque-like ground line below. Gorny & Mosch 141 (10 October 2005), lot 22 (same dies); Gemini IV, lot 10 (same dies); otherwise unpublished. Superb EF, toned. Fully centered. Very rare.
This coin is from a newly discovered type clearly related to the Reiterstumpf/Kroisbach type by virtue of the close similarity of their reverse types, as well as the overall style and characteristics of their flans. The obverse type has a stylistic affinity with the left-facing male heads on the Apollokopf/Leierblume type, particularly in the details of the face and jaw line (cf. Göbl, OTA 396-398). Both the Reiterstumpf and Apollokopf types are attributed to the same general region and time frame, so a new type combining elements of both is not unexpected.

helvetica:
This absolutely has to be the Celtic coin of the day. We have probably all come across
these Danubian Thasos imitations at some time or another. I was just IDing such a
coin checking through the examples I had sent to Dave Surber before I inherited
the reins of wildwinds from him and noticed this one:
Celtic Danube Region. AR Tetradrachm imitating Thasos. ca 1st C. BC. 34.5mm, 15.68 g.
Obv: Head of Dionysos left, wearing ivy wreath, style completely
degraded, locks of hair resembling short legs.
Rev: Legend degraded to LSIIVL LISIIS, greatly degraded image
of Herakles (resembling a parrot or eagle!), head left, wing-like arms, club beside leg.
Göbl, OTA Class IV. cf Lukanc 1347. Bank Leu, 79, 188.

What a wonderful image. I had to laugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version