Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

unknown roman, maybe provincial?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ibanez:
what's it's value?

Steve Minnoch:
Also RPC 2305.

As the legends are Latin, I think we should call the figure Minerva rather than Athena.

RPC places this under "Domitian's Provincial Judaean Coinage", noting a similarity with civic coinage of Caesarea Maritima which suggests Caesarea was the mint.  The type is unique to Domitian.

Steve

Howard Cole:

--- Quote from: Steve Minnoch on September 08, 2005, 05:15:10 am ---Also RPC 2305.

As the legends are Latin, I think we should call the figure Minerva rather than Athena.

--- End quote ---

Steve, I am just reporting what is published in the reference.  As for it being Minerva, I don't think that has to do with the legend but where the coin was minted.  It was minted in a Greek influenced city even if it has Latin legends.  So I would go with Athena.

Howard

EcgĂľeow:
would you call Caesarea more influenced by Greece or Rome?  It was built as a Roman capital in honor of Augustus, in a time when Herod was building up his Roman influence.  I think it was more tied with the west than most Eastern cities.  Then again, it was in the Eastern half of the empire, and therefore a large portion of it's inhabitants would speak Greek. 
anyway, this is just nitpicking, but interesting nonetheless.

~Zach

slokind:
Just an opinion, but I think you've asked one of those questions that as stated cannot be answered other than falsely.  What if I suggested that, true to its geographical location, its previous political position, and its mixed population, it was not influenced but in the descent from the Seleucid kingdoms?  Someone who knows these coins intimately, though, may be better to make a better statement than mine.  But "more influenced by Greece or Rome?", I think no one could answer.  Which Greece?  By now, which Rome?  The Rome that Paul of Tarsus addressed in Greek?  The Greece of Antioch, of Thessaloniki, of Ephesos, of Corinth?
Pat L.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version