Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

Overstrucked Yehonatan Lily lepton

(1/3) > >>

a:
Hi,

This Yehonatan (Alexander) lepton with lily and hebrew "Yehonatan the King" on obverse and anchor and greek "Yehonatan the King" on reverse was overstriked. Can you, please, to help me to define the new coin? I think, on reverse I can recognize the base of cornucopia. But what about the reverse side? It is definitely not the standard "Yehonatan the high priest...".

Thanks,
Explorer

Ecgþeow:
John Hyrcanus II (Yonatan)
AE prutah, Hendin 478

it is overstruck with Yonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath with :Greek_Lambda: E"X"A, on the reverse is a double cornucopia. 
This type is always struck on top of Yehonatan's lily type.

~Zach

a:
Thank you, Zach.

My source is Meshorer's Threasure. And there appears that it is only theory that the Hyrcanus II jew name was Yonatan, and probably "Yonatan" appearing on part of double cornucopia coind is actually some shortage of "Yehonatan" and this type belongs to Alexander Janeus. Does Hendin described different theory? And what are his explainations?

Thanks,
Explorer

Ecgþeow:
Yes, he does.  We do not know John Hyrcanus's hebrew name.  Yonatan coins were sometimes struck over Yehonatan coins, and no longer contain the title king, which Yhonatan held, and Hyrcanus did not.  Hyrcanus was only High Priest and ethnarch.  Also, it makes very little sense for a rulere to restrike his own coins.  What would make more sense is if there were a large number left in theh mint upon his death, and Salome issued them in the name of hewr son the high priest, who later replaced her as ruler.  Or it may be that Hyrcanus overstruck these lily types during his reign.

~Zach

a:
Thank you again, Zach,

This explaination make sense. Especially: "Also, it makes very little sense for a rulere to restrike his own coins."

Explorer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version