Numismatic and History Discussions > Biblical & Judean Coins

jewish war shekels in near perfect condition

<< < (5/6) > >>

Howard Cole:

--- Quote from: Ibex-coins on May 01, 2005, 11:39:19 pm ---
As for the purity of Jewish coins which you attempt to debunk Meshorer by referring to another theory of his which is debated, perhaps I can convince you with two other references.
1) The application of SEM for Authentication of an Improtant Find of Year Five Shekels of the Jewish War, Herbert Kreindler, INJ Vol 9.
2) A Preliminary Study of the Application of SEM to the Study of Coins,  A.D. Kushlevsky and Meshorer, Scanning 2 (1979)

--- End quote ---

I am not trying to debunk what Meshorer says about the purity of Jewish shekels.  I believe what you wrote and accept it.  I was just trying to point out some of Meshorer's theories do have problems and that maybe his conclusion that the shekel was used as temple tax may also have problems.  I never question what he said about purity.  But since the purity of the Jewish shekel is on pare if not above Tyrian shekels, I see nothing from keeping them from be accepted at the temple, except traditon.  But tradition usually gets thrown out or changed during troubled times.

--- Quote ---In Athens the aritcle I cited mentions that the slaves were not just looking for Fourees, the slaves for certifying coins in Athens were responsible for determining not just which coins were fakes, but also which coins could circulate at full value and which that could not.  But you are correct, we do not know what methods and tools were at their disposal to do so.

--- End quote ---

If you read the article carrefully, the non-official Athenian imitations circulated at bullion value and it was up to the people making the deal to accept them.  If it was an official Athenian coin, it had to be accepted at face value, and if one of the parties in the deal refused to accept them, they could get into serious trouble.  Again this was not looking at the silver content but rather at was the coin official or not.

Fourees were removed from circulation.

Robert_Brenchley:
I think it's likely that there were several reasons for minting the shekels; firstly, the Temple tax. Why else would they mint silver of such a high standard of purity, when they could adulterate it, get more shekels for their silver, and still have coin as good as anyone elses? If it was a trade coin, it would have been circulating with a face value lower than its bullion value. Secondly, it was an expression of national independence, right where it mattered at the heart of the religious-cum-political setup. Thirdly, it complied strictly with the law on images. Doubtless the shekel of Tyre was still accepted; mixed hoards of shekels of Tyre and war prutoth have been found, and we don't know how readily available the shekels of Israel were. But the fact that they chose to mint a coin without images is surely significant.

David Atherton:
Have there been any estimated figures ventured on how many silver shekels were minted by the Jewish rebels?

Robert_Brenchley:
Does Meshorer make any estimate of the number of dies used? That would give a clue. The Romans probably melted every one they could lay their hands on, so I suspect a pretty small proportion survived. I really must get that book soon!

Salem Alshdaifat:
I was looking all the past days at all what was posted, I might agree that the shekels used to pay for the Temple tax, but I wont agree that was the only reasone for Hammaring them, or elss we will just find silver coin during this Era, and we will NOT find any Bronze at all,  so to find war bronze coins will lead us to the point that the Jews didnt struck the coins for only the Tax reasons or elss they will just mint silver and no bronze at all, acording to the history of the War and acording to the situations in Judaea and even in Rome it self these days, and acording to what the Jews faced befor the war I would (my thoughts) say that they mint these coins for higher reason than the Temple Tax and even higher than any other reason, it is the feeling of freedom, and the feeling of estaplishing for the first time a Jew state without any out side Rule.
and just by looking at the script the coins have you assume that the messege of the coins was represinting the Jews situation every year, and to remember how the jews was fighting among them selves and how there were more than one group at that time, and to remember that some Jews even fought with the Roman, these things will tell you that the messege of the coins were even targeting these Jews, that the war wasent for the glory of the groups and the leaders, it was for the Jews as nation, and for Judaea to be united and free, and we see HURATH (Freedom) every where at the coins, and that was the Target and the most important thing Jews wanted to prove to the groups, people, the Jews who join Rome, and to the Roman, the messege is we are no more slaves, and we have the power among Judaea, and we are united.
still it is my veiw of the Jew war coins, and about if there is any number for the coins were Hammared or struck, I dont think any one can answer that, espicialy no one knows who gave the order to mint them.
best regards
  :Judean_mah_3: :Judean_lam_2: :Judean_alef_4: :Judean_shin_1:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version