Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Forum purchase o' the day

(1/2) > >>

lawrence c:
Wanted to share my latest from Forum. My collecting interest is Roman, and this coin is from Cilicia. It however is very tied in with one of main collecting interests, the Imperator era. I've been trying to add to that collection. Most of the lesser remaining Roman imperators are not in my budget -- Labienus and the like aren't going to happen -- so I've started trying to get some of their allied client kings. I earlier got a Deiotarus (also from Forum) and am waiting for a Juba from elsewhere. Here is a Tarcondimotus.

Tarcondimotus I (or Tarkondimotos) was a Roman client king of Cilicia. He supported Pompey in the civil war against Caesar, but when Pompey lost, he was pardoned by Caesar and remained in power. He might also have received Roman citizenship. After Caesar was assassinated, Tarcondimotus allied first with Cassius and then Mark Antony. He adopted the royal epithet Philantonios (Antony-lover) as an expression of his devotion to Antony. He was killed at the battle of Actium in 31 BC.

Tarcondimotus Bronze AE 22, Cilicia, Hierapolis-Castabala (Kirmitli, Turkey) mint. 8.591g, 21.5mm, die axis 90o,. as king in Eastern Cilicia, c. 39 - 31 B.C.; obverse diademed head right; reverse Zeus Nikephoros enthroned left, himation around hips and legs with end over shoulder, Nike offering wreath extended in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, BAΣIΛEΩΣ downward on right, TAPKON∆IMO/TOY in two downward lines on left, ΦIΛANTΩNIOY in exergue. RPC I 3871; SNG BnF 1913; SNG Levante 1258; BMC Lycaonia p. 237, 1 ff. A FORUM coin.

My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=40464

Jay GT4:
That's quite the portrait!

Virgil H:
Beautiful coin. I personally like Provincials, especially due to the wide number of mints.

Virgil

quadrans:
Nice find …👍🤗

Joe

SC:
It is a great portrait and a great Jupiter on the reverse.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version