Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unique Seleukos II tetradrachm  (Read 666 times)

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
Unique Seleukos II tetradrachm
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:10:08 pm »
I just wanted to say a real quick thanks to the members on this forum who helped me identify my Seleukos II tetradrachm from (probably?) Laodikeia ad Mare at the beginning of 2022. 

I've since parsed my collection down to about 1/4 of its former size and this coin (both unique and a plate coin in Houghton and Lorber) is the centerpiece - my favorite coin of my favorite king :P

I'll get my gallery of Seleucid tetradrachms set up in the next few weeks.  It's down to only 9 tetradrachms and 8 really nice bronzes (from 28 tetradrachms and about 100 bronzes) but I've kept my nicest pieces. 

Anyway, thanks again!  Y'all made my year.

Added a pic, because it'd be cruel not to :P

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Unique Seleukos II tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 12:15:52 pm »
What prompted the downsizing? Did you sell lesser pieces to afford better ones?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 12:42:42 pm »
It was just too big to really appreciate, I think.  I did sell most of my lower quality coins, but some nice ones too.  I have a ton coming up for auction in the next handful of months.  I did also upgrade my Antiochos IX, I suppose, haha. 

My plan is to slowly build it back up, adding back a really nice example of each king, one per year (except the obvious ones like Antiochos XI and XII, who cost... an unfortunate amount lol)

Right now I have Antiochos I, Antiochos II, Seleukos II, Antiochos III, Antiochos IV, Demetrios II, Antiochos VII, Alexander II, and Antiochos IX :)

Plus some bronzes that are too nice / rare to part with.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 02:12:33 pm »
Very nice!  I wish I was that disciplined.  I'm getting there...

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 02:31:52 pm »
I think it really helped when I had trouble remembering which coins were still in my collection and which I had parted with, lol.  I felt like I clearly didn't care enough about each individual coin to remember them in detail.  I saved the ones I really loved and now that is fixed xD.  2023 I'll probably either add a real nice Alexander Balas or Demetrios Soter.  Maybe a new Seleukos I elephant tetradrachm if I can find another at a decent price before one of the other two.

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 04:07:20 pm »
I would be interested to see your gallery if you end up creating one - for inspiration as I am getting started with Seleucid coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity