Resources > The Members' Gallery

She-wolf and Twins Album

(1/2) > >>

Ken W2:

I’ve been working on a sub-set collection of she-wolf and twins denarii and silver and silvered antoniniani. Just uploaded 7 coins (6 different with 1 duplicate). Based on Sydenham I’ve attributed the SEX PO FOSTLVS coins to Italian mint, even though both sellers attributed to Rome.  I don’t have Crawford.  Is it now settled that issue is attributed to Rome?
An Antoninus Pius she-wolf right denarius  and Probus XXI ant will soon be added.  By my reckoning that leaves Vespasian, Titus, Marcus Aurelianus, and Claudius II remaining to acquire.  Am I overlooking any pre-reform RSCs or billon/silvered? I believe Hadrian’s she-wolf was issued only as an aureus, Aurelian’s only in bronze, and I generally exclude usurpers, in this case Carausius.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Ken W2 on December 06, 2022, 12:34:29 am --- Am I overlooking any pre-reform RSCs or billon/silvered?

--- End quote ---
If all you want is silver, then there is a very early she-wolf RRC 20/1:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1995454

--- Quote from: Ken W2 on December 06, 2022, 12:34:29 am ---By my reckoning that leaves Vespasian, Titus

--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure that during Flavian reign she-wolf denarii were struck olny for Domitian.

Ken W2:

Thanks DzikiZdeb.  I probably will at some point expand to the pre-denarius and post-reform periods. She-wolf and twin denarius are listed in RSC for Vespasian at RSC II 103 [RIC 70] and for Titus at RSC II 69 [RIC 204]. I also think there is a denarius with the she-wolf and twins theme depicted on a building facade, but can’t recall who issued that coin.
Thanks again.

Pekka K:
RIC lists for Carausius 571 - 577 and 594 with she-wolf and twins.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.cara.571

Pekka K

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Ken W2 on December 06, 2022, 07:59:18 am ---She-wolf and twin denarius are listed in RSC for Vespasian at RSC II 103 [RIC 70] and for Titus at RSC II 69 [RIC 204].

--- End quote ---
I thought my memory was starting to fail me, but no - everything is as I wrote. I checked it in RCV II and in RIC II.1 - both coins you mentioned are marked as hybrids with Domitan she-wolf rv (probably known in a single copy) and both are omitted from the new RIC II.1. There is an additional note next to Titus coin that it is probably a forgery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version