Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found a damaged Agathokles 317-289 BC Tetradrachm in a french market  (Read 502 times)

Jan-Pieter V

Hey everyone, first post here. I wanted to share a coin I found in a french street market for 1 euro. Sadly it's badly damaged and was probably used as a pendant. I don't even know if it's real or fake...
Some explanation about the coin I found online: https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=99640
However since finding it I can't stop reading about ancient coins so I think I found a new hobby ;)

I wouldn't ever want to sell it because I found it myself and it's worth more to me than it's monetary value.

Discussion question: do coins with this amount of damage even have any monetary value to you? Or is it mostly sentimental value for the finder?

Have a nice day.

Images are too large in size so here's an imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/wtJWi84

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Found a damaged Agathokles 317-289 BC Tetradrachm in a french market
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 12:39:17 pm »
Hi Jan-Pieter, welcome to the forum. Others here will be able to tell you more or if it is a modern jewelry piece, but it would be helpful for you to post a photo of the other side and size and weight.

Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:04:32 pm »

Maybe this picture helps:

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:42:19 pm »
My bad, I didn't see the link.

Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:00:38 pm »

Looks much like cast copy. Edge shows some features of seam.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity