Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mysia, Parion hemidrachm BMC 38-9  (Read 424 times)

Offline Inland Empire

• Legionary
Mysia, Parion hemidrachm BMC 38-9
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:10:52 pm »
As the title suggests, I have recently aquired a hemidrachm from Parion. It was a bit of an impulse bid on my side and now I'm a bit troubled about a one aspect of the coin.
I've bought it at [REMOVED BY ADMIN] which I consider to be a reputable dealer, so no concerns on that side for me, but there is always the one fake that got away ;)

So the first attachment is my coin. What puzzles me, is that according to wildwinds this variety is supposed to come with a PE monogram above the gorgon's head. Also, the gorgon seems to wear a stephane or some similar headdress on most varieties I found during my research, which might just be missing because of wear. Now in an older auction of Roma, I have found another coin that appears to be a die match (2nd attachment). It also appears to miss the monogram, but of course I can't rule out the possibility that it's just not visible due to die placement/flan size. The Roma auction was sporting a lot of coins from a single collector's inventory (including the die matched one), so I guess that would might some indirect provenance of my coin. Weight and diameter appear to be fine (2.26g, 14mm).

Anyhow, am I just a little paranoid, or is there reason to worry? I've also checked this site's fake coin galleries, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for your input

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Mysia, Parion hemidrachm BMC 38-9
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 03:51:53 pm »
There are very many varieties of these coins, and online sources are hardly likely to have all of them listed.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 02:44:48 am »
The type with the wreath does exist with and without monogram above the gorgoneion. See e.g. Mariana Minkova, Julia Tzvetkova and Ilya Prokopov, "NUMISMATIC COLLECTION OF THE REGIONAL MUSEUM OF HISTORY STARA ZAGORA", CCCHBulg VIII, Sofia 2019: https://www.academia.edu/40319301/COIN_COLLECTIONS_AND_COIN_HOARDS_FROM_BULGARIA_CCCHBulg_Volume_VIII_in_series_Digital_edition_

Numbers 1131-1136 on page 162 are variants without monogram, 1180-1181 on page 164 are with this monogram.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Inland Empire

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 12:01:33 pm »
Thanks to both of you, that puts my mind to rest  +++

That academia site really offers a plethora of study material.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity