Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Transfer die?  (Read 525 times)

Offline Neko B

• Legionary
Possible Transfer die?
« on: May 22, 2022, 02:46:47 pm »
Hey guys

Am I mistaken or are these ghost lines? These lines seem uncharacteristic for this mint. I had no luck finding the mother, maybe someone can help thanks.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Possible Transfer die?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 03:48:29 pm »
If it's a transfer die, then someone went to a lot of trouble to put real wear on the coin after the strike.  Many of the damaged parts of the coin could not have been struck with a transfer die based on their shape.  I see the pearl boder you highlight as doubled, but that would also easily be explained by the initial strike of the coin being off, and then corrected with subsequent blows to the reverse die.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 04:51:03 pm »
The image is gone. Here is what I see.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:39:18 am »
Please upload photos to the discussion instead of using links. The reason we ask you to do this is perfectly demonstrated in this thread.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity