Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus Milan binio, MIR 1069c  (Read 362 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Gallienus Milan binio, MIR 1069c
« on: August 22, 2023, 09:56:49 am »
Hi,

I'm trying, unsuccessfully it seems, to track down two Gold binios of Gallienus from the Milan mint. Goebl, in MIR, cites 4 examples of MIR 1069c GALLIENVS P AVG, radiate head right FIDE/IEQVI/TVM wreath. The one illustrated in the plates is from Oxford (monochrome). OCRE illustrates both the Oxford specimen and the BM specimen in colour. It's the other two coins I'm after.

I've looked at Berlin and Vienna online and neither illustrate the pieces (although both do have other examples of the binio. I don't have access to Calico these days, could anybody help and look them up please, although given its limitations it may not be the answer? It's this specific obverse legend that I'm looking for, I've worked out the other ones. I'd at least link to find out where they were seen, even if I can't get an image.

Thanks,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Gallienus Milan binio, MIR 1069c
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 11:51:50 am »
Just learnt that Calico only cites RIC (the BM and Oxford) specimens and Cohen (who, in turn, cites the BM coin). Still trying to track down the other two specimens that Gobl recorded.

One may be in the Getty Museum, inventry number 75.NH.109.1541 (info from Ocre).

Mauseus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 03:56:25 pm »
This is the infos provided by the museum about the inventory number you gave. But it is a silver coin… and no picture is available.
DT

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 05:11:59 pm »
Thanks! It should be MIR 1069g then if it's silver. Gobl encountered one specimen from a 1994 Jacquier sale.

Cheers,

Rich

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 02:16:24 am »
Calico 3488 has a photo of one specimen, but provenance is not given.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 03:05:14 am »
Hi,

Thanks, I now have a copy of Calico. Unfortunately the illustrated piece is MIR 1070c as the legend ends PF AVG. I do have a little bit of provenance for that coin from a couple of recorded sales. Appreciate you taking the time to look and answer.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity