Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

Hendin's New Guide to Biblical Coins (GBC6)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Virgil H:
Hopefully you will get it any day. I didn't realize I was ordering a book that was signed and don't recall a thank you email, but I ordered as soon as I opened the email with the announcement. Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. What I do know is they were signed last Thursday and I got mine today, so yours shouldn't be far behind, depending where you live. It was sent media mail, and that can take a bit longer. I am in US in South Carolina, so not a long trip from NYC. It was probably the best packed book I have ever received. I was impressed all the way around and the book looks super good. I have not read previous editions, so this is a new adventure for me. Plus, the Lyceum coming up I will have the book for. I am a very satisfied customer.

Virgil

Jay GT4:
If you have the 5th  edition you may be disappointed.  Most of the introductions and history sections are identical.  To be sure there are new paragraphs and of course coins, but so far the majority of the text is exactly the same.  If you're  a casual collector I see no reason to update to the 6th edition.  Still, I'm happy I got it and it is an exceptional resource.  Well written and excellent plates and line drawings.  Now I just have to update my coins to the new reference numbers!

Ron C2:
I don't collect Judean coins, but this trend of authors using new and different reference numbers between editions is vexing.

cmcdon0923:
I agree Ron.  Come up with a numbering scheme that allows for the addition of new types into the existing system.

Jay.....even if the book doesn't offer much in the way of new information (although I'm sure there is some) as I mentioned in my original post, some auction houses have already begun listing their coins by the GBC6 numbering system.  Again, why anyone would do this when the book wasn't even available to most collectors, I can not comprehend. 

And also, I have every edition from #1 through #5, so I must keep the set going with #6.

Craig

Aarmale:
Pre-ordered the new volume, but had it shipped to relatives in the USA to save on shipping costs---can't wait to take a look at it. This will actually be my first Hendin volume, I have been reading old library copies till now when I needed his work for reference. Otherwise I made do with TJC, which has stood the test of time pretty well. I think having an "updated TJC" could also be useful, and it is indeed a shame that Ya'akov Meshorer is not alive to do it.

I am most curious to know if this edition classifies the helmet-aphlaston coin of Antiochus IV as a coin of Hyrcanus I, following Ariel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version