Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiberius Tribute Penny  (Read 877 times)

Jj W

Tiberius Tribute Penny
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:41:16 pm »
(I'm pasting this same intro into all my first posts to level set. Thanks for your patience)
-----------------

Hello all,

I'm new here.  Please be kind :)

So I recently found out about auctions for ancient coins and artifacts.  I've mostly just been buying things that feel interesting or give me a good feeling.  I have always loved archeology and history, and also been a minor coin collector since childhood.

I'm not really collecting as an investment, more as a form of time travel.  I just love touching and holding these objects and imagining who may have held it when it was newer.  Having some kind of historical context to these objects is what I am mostly after. 

Also, I am strongly interested in attempting to restore everything to as close to what it looked like when it was new(er).  I don't want to destroy anything, but I also do want to be "aggressive" in the restoration efforts in an attempt to do so.

-----------------

So with this (potentially Tiberius) coin [REMOVED BY ADMIN] I'm looking for

1. Any info you all might think about it.
     a. Is the paper description correct?
     b. Can someone help to translate all those abbreviations and meanings on the paper?
     c. The auction description said "Ancient Tiberius Caesar 14-37 AD"
     d. Guessing this is silver metal?
     e. Why is this one called a Tribute Penny when the others are just coins?
2. Best advice to attempt to restore it.
     a. Can I shine this up somehow and restore the original color?

Thank you for reading and I really do appreciate your time and look forward to learning more and being part of your community.

All the best,
JJ Walker

Jj W

Re: Tiberius Tribute Penny
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:46:35 pm »
3.6g
1.8cm

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:29:47 pm »
It looks OK from the photo, but one can’t be certain of it. The weight is OK, as is the toning.$210 is a very good price….if it is authentic. Sharp, large photos of the edges to see if there is a seam or filing of it away would be helpful.
It is against the rules here to ask for advice if you haven’t bought it yet.
PeteB

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 10:39:14 pm »
 You would benefit from reading the section For New Ancient Coin collectors as well as the board rules.
 Read first, then buy.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Jj W

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 10:47:31 am »
It looks OK from the photo, but one can’t be certain of it. The weight is OK, as is the toning.$210 is a very good price….if it is authentic. Sharp, large photos of the edges to see if there is a seam or filing of it away would be helpful.
It is against the rules here to ask for advice if you haven’t bought it yet.
PeteB

Thank you!  I'll take a photo of the edges today!

Everything I've posted I already bought, but thanks for the rule reminder.  I need to go through the rules, seems like there is quite a bit I need to learn.

Jj W

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 10:49:00 am »
You would benefit from reading the section For New Ancient Coin collectors as well as the board rules.
 Read first, then buy.

Yep I'll get on reading that during a break today.  Thank you.  I have already purchased everything posted however.

Do you think I could get the silver to shine better if I did that lemon juice in foil method I read about?

Jj W

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:46:20 am »
 Read first, then buy.

Sorry to ask, but I've spent almost a half hour trying to find the "board rules" and it escapes me.  Would you be able to point me to it?  I'm sure it's somewhere obvious that I'm just not bright enough to see.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 12:09:29 am »
Well, since you are looking for help with identification,  you could start with the section "Identification Help" and then  the pinned top level subsection "RULES: READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR ID HELP".
Since you say you are new to ancient coin collecting, you could read about the topics under "For the new ancient coin collector ".   
I don't mean to be facetious; you will learn more by asking questions about your coins after reading those coherent threads and framing your concerns than asking one-off questions without having some background to understand  the answers.  You will get much more out of the discussion.  Without some background,  if you ask a question and one person says "no" and another says "yes" , and 500 are simply silent, how would you decide?
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 01:11:35 am »
It is called a tribute penny because the English translations of the Bible called it a penny. This is not only a Roman coin, it is also in the Biblical coin category, which can be a separate collecting category. Great article on these on the Nusmiwiki here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=tribute%20penny

Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 04:28:01 am »
Please don't try to make it shine!  ;D

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 12:57:17 pm »
Although when discussing your "restoration" intentions here, some have replied that shining up ancient coins and antiquities destroys their value, they really didn't just mean retail value. They also meant eye appeal, desirability, collectible value, and historical value. There are other members here who posted similar things when they first started and if they see their old posts will now acknowledge they were wrong. Perhaps recoiling in horror at their own old words. If you grow in your knowledge, you will come to appreciate that an attractive patina is far nicer than the shine of bare metal. Losing the patina is losing history.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity