Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can someone help me ID this coin  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Mark L3

• Praetorian
Can someone help me ID this coin
« on: September 10, 2021, 06:03:53 pm »
Hi!
Who's up for a challenge!
I purchased this coin listed as a Bronze Celtic Unit. the description said 'A Bronze Celtic Coin dating to about 50 A.D.'
Does anyone have any idea on whereabouts this coin is from? I believe the reverse has a horse on it, and when I looked around I couldn't find any Celtic coins with that style of horse legs.

Does anyone have any ideas??

The diameter is: 13.0/12.6mm (top-bottom/left-right)
The weight is: 1.54g

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Mark :)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Can someone help me ID this coin
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:04:11 am »
This is hard to attribute, as there's not much detail to go on.  The only clear distinguishing feature I see here is the horse with its unusual 'teardrop' legs. Horses usually figure on the reverse, suggesting the obverse is a head, for what may be a celtic imitation of Philip II of Macedonia.

Perhaps it's from the Danubian region, possibly a Kapostal type. See example.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 08:21:04 am »
I think it is a Dunaszekcső type coin. A bit later than Kapostal type, though similar, and from the same region.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/x115206

Online Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:19:35 am »
The legs of the horse lead definitly to the Danube Celts.
http://www.romancoins.info/Celtic2.html = a site I found the two pictures here below on:
But simply the pictures of "Coin Danube Celts" on the www are interesting enough.
It is a pity the other side of your coin gives so little detail.

Online Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 10:02:11 am »
I wonder, would not your coin rather be a type with laurelled head?
Underneath, not a match but a coin with some details to compare:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity