Resources > The Members' Gallery

Let's play a game based on Reference numbers

(1/34) > >>

Jay GT4:
I was thinking of a way to draw attention to the amazing coins in the members galleries.  Let's base this one on RIC and see if we can go in order, but not necessarily by ruler but by number.  

So for example I will start with a Vespasian RIC 2 ( because i don't have a RIC 1).  The next person will post RIC 3, but it doesn't have to be of Vespasian, it can be any Emperor as long as the attribution is RIC 3.  Next person will post a RIC 4 and so on...  if we're in a bind use any reference number (RSC, HNItaly, CR, Syn, Hendin, RRC, BMC)  as long as it's the next in line.

Post a pic of the coin along with attribution and a link to the gallery.

IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG
Laur. head of Vespasian right

IVDAEA
Judaea as mourning captive seated right on ground at foot of trophy.

Celebrating the success of Vespasian and Titus in quelling the first Jewish Revolt. Portrait looks like a cross between Otho and Vitellius

Rome 69-70 AD

RIC 2 (C2); Sear 2296

3.285g

Ex-Maridvnvm; Ex-Forum!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-63436

Next RIC 3

Nemonater:
This should be interesting to watch Jay. Can I break the rules and post an RIC 1? It just doesn’t feel right otherwise! ;D

Vitellius (69 AD). AR Denarius, 18 mm, 2.51 g. Rome mint. Struck late April to December 20, 69.
O: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head right.
R: L VITELLIVS COS III CENSOR, L. Vitellius seated left on curule chair, holding branch and eagle-tipped sceptre.
RIC I, 97 (R); Cohen 55 (40 Francs).

Lucius Vitellius the elder, the father of the emperor of the same name, had an impressive career under Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius. He achieved the highest honors attainable by a private man at Rome under the Empire: consul for the third time and censor. He held these offices during the reign of Claudius, being a close friend of the emperor and the most influential Roman senator.

Vitellius died unexpectedly from a paralytic stroke in 51 and received a statue on the speaker's platform on the Roman Forum, with the inscription 'Of unwavering loyalty to the emperor'.

The year 36 saw an incident which deserves mentioning. In Judaea, a Samaritan, claiming to be Moses reincarnate, gathered an armed following. The prefect of Judaea, Pontius Pilate, intervened immediately, dispersed the crowd, and had the ringleaders executed. The Samaritans considered his violence excessive and appealed to the Syrian governor. Vitellius heard their complaints, sent Pilate back to Italy and appointed Marcellus. Pilate's co-ruler in Judaea, the high priest Joseph Caiaphas, was replaced by his brother-in-law Jonathan.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-117343

Jay GT4:
Excellent Nemo!  So next would be RIC 3

orfew:
Domitian RIC 3

Next: RIC 4

Jay GT4:
I'll be out until we get into the teens...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version