Resources > The Members' Gallery

Anaximander's Gallery

<< < (20/27) > >>

Anaximander:

--- Quote from: Molinari on February 18, 2021, 08:25:50 pm ---BCD Akarnania is on acsearch—it was an M&M sale about a dozen or so years ago.  

--- End quote ---

Thanks for pointing that out, Molinari.  For someone who uses acsearch.info regularly, I was surprised that they have a library of |numismatics|. with lots of PDFs.  

I wasn't able to locate BCD Akarnania right away, though.  I kept plugging away and found their page on |auctions|. (duh!) Filtering for M&M Gmbh, I found the link for |Auction| 23. I just need to get used to the idea of it being html-based and not a PDF.  

--- Quote from: Carausius on February 18, 2021, 05:11:06 pm ---I agree with Tracy Aiello for several reasons:  first, dealers and other collectors make mistakes, so it's never wise to rely on a dealer's or collector's tag without verification; second, online databases that might cite to numismatic works are also not immune from typos and other errors. If you want to cite to a book you don't own - borrow a copy, find an online copy, or ask a friend or Forum member to confirm the cite (preferably with a photo of the book entry). Alternatively, just cite the books you have and add more cites as books are added to your library.  There's no shame in not having every major reference at your fingertips, particularly in Greek coins where there might be multiple major references for each city-state.  

--- End quote ---

I take your point, Carausius.  In the course of my plunge back into references, I was surprised at the number of dealer errors I uncovered.  This echoes what I gathered from Meepzorp's recent site edits.  With the availability now of many resources, from very old to the very new, I've validated many, many references, and expanded them substantially.  I credit the people and pages of this Forum for helping me to find those resources, and sharing their wisdom.  

Anaximander:
While I haven't been posting to this topic recently, I've been perusing the Forvm and going through my collection on a near-daily basis.

I've finished photographing of all the dealer tags for my ancient coins. I picked up a new LED light (a Godox S30, 30 watts) to serve as the main light source for coin photos, and that's taken some getting used to.  A Godox softbox (SA-30) for the light, delayed in the mail, eventually helped turn the corner.  I've downsampled from 300 dpi to 200 (and as low as 72 dpi) for thumbnails and tags; that makes for smaller files.

I've been collecting Bactrian coinage for some time now.  Here are two new additions:
|Baktria. Diomedes Soter. Dioskouroi Tetradrachm.
|Baktria, Heliokles II Radiate Zeus-Mithra Tetradrachm.
I have a tetradrachm of Heliokles I that I picked up 20 years ago, and now one of Heliokles II. Guess I'm a creature of habit...

Anaximander:
I attended the Annual Upstate South Carolina Coin show and picked up four coins.  It was my first time at this show, hosted by the Greenville & Parker Coin Clubs. The show was postponed from its February date, and it was hot in Spartanburg. For what it's worth, business appeared brisk. 

|1. |Asia Minor. |Cilicia, 379-374 BC. AR Obol (0.68 gm)  Veiled head of a female, facing, wearing necklace. / Bearded head of Herakles left, wearing lion-skin headdress, tied at neck.  Possibly a satrapal issue of Pharnabazos, and an uncertain mint (Nagidos?)

|2. |Greece. |Crete c. 330-270 BC. AR stater of Gortyna. Europa seated facing in tree, raising her veil and hand on the back of eagle with its wings spread. / Bull stdg right, head reverted. VF. Ex-Thomas Bentley Cederlind.

|3. |Roman Empire. |Orbiana, w. Severus Alexander. 225-227 AD. AR Denarius of Rome, 225 AD. Special marriage issue. Concordia seated. RIC IV.2 #319. A duplicate of one already in my collection, but this one pleases me.

|4. Kings of Macedon. Philip II,  Posthumous (temp Kassander) AR Tetradrachm of Amphipolis. Laureate head of Zeus, r. / Youth on horseback r., holding palm.  Probably struck for Lysimachos by Kassander.

Nice to finally go to a coin show again! 

I've managed to launch my medieval coin galleries here in FAC, with Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Gallic galleries posted.  I'll post the Crusader coins next, now that I've photographed them anew.  More on that front to come in future months. 

Blayne W:
Congrats on some great coins.  I really like the stater from Gortyna

I am hoping to go to my first coin show in Calgary later this month.

Virgil H:
Nice coins. I live in SC and had no idea there were any coin shows with ancients anywhere in the state. That said, I am not sure I would know what I was doing at a coin show, but would be fun to go to one. That  Gortyna coins has some serious imagery.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version