Resources > The Members' Gallery

Anaximander's Gallery

<< < (3/27) > >>

orfew:
A lovely collection. I look forward to more additions.

Anaximander:
Et ca commence!  Sicily, in dribs and drabs. Starting with an AR Litra of Abakainon, a Sikel city-state in NE Sicily. 

The litra ("pound") was the predominant silver coin denomination among native Sicilians: Sikels (or Sicels, Σικελοί in Greek), Sikanians (or Sicanians), and Elymians. Valued at 12 onkiai, it was equal to 1 lb. of bronze.  That translated to 1/5th of a drachm. Fractional coinage consisted of the hemilitron (1/2 litra = 6 onkiai), the pentonkion (5 onkiai), the tetrantes or "tetra" (1/4th litra = 3 onkiai), the trias (1/3rd litra = 4 onkiai), the hexas (1/6th litra) and the tiny and rare onkia.  The litra eventually displaced the obol (1/6th of a drachm). See O. Hoover HGC 2 pg. lv.

Abakainon. 420-410 BC. AR Litra (0.60 gms). Laureate bearded head of Zeus r. ⟲A-B-A-K. / Boar stdg r. ⟲IИIA.  gVF.  FUN Show 2015. SNG ANS 3 #895; HGC 2 #9; BMC 2 #2; SNG Cop -.

I liked the gradient fill that I used for the background on my Ptolemaic photos, so I'm using it again here for my Sicilian coins. Your thoughts on that welcomed.

Anaximander

PS: here's a link to my Sicilian gallery (such as it is, so far).  More to come.

Molinari:
Nice.  I've been patiently awaiting the Acheloios type from Abakainon to appear, but they are extremely rare. Some day, I think.

stevex6:
Wow, I recently went and took another peek at your cool collection and I was "very" impressed!

+++ :o +++

Oh, and I love the new animal addition! (it's a total winner)

Cheers

stevex6

okidoki:
Nice tentacles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version