Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Judean lamp identification  (Read 2126 times)

Sergio Orata

Roman Judean lamp identification
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:06:20 am »

Hi again,

Here's a Judean, Roman period, ovoid lamp. Any advice on Century and references?

Thank you!!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman Judean lamp identification
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:44:47 am »
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Skippy S

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:35:53 pm »
This is an interesting piece.

I have two opinions, but frankly, without further pictures and looking at the radials on the top, it would be hard to tell.  here are the two opinions:

1) The ovoid style strongly suggests late roman (100CE to 300CE), with use, possibly by a Jew.  

[LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The shape of the lamp is the common "ovoid" shape used by Roman Lamp makers. Because the lamps were so varied and easy to make (both locally and imported) the likelihood of pinning it down to anything more than this is small.

The reason I suggest it was used by a jew (but, by no means a guarantee), is that Jews commonly broke out the discus (which often had images, but often did not... but they got into the habit of doing it).  The breakage was to destroy any "graven image" that was on it, which would then make the lamp kosher for use.  Given the jagged edge of the discus fill hole, this is a possible case.

there are also example of unused lamps that had fully sealed tops, requiring breakage, so it's not a guarantee.  Just an interesting tid-bit.

Later examples of ovoid lamps often had raised rims (you'll see those in 5th century to 6th century CE lamps). This one does not appear to have those, which is why I suggested 2nd to 4th century (100CE to 300CE)

2) The Radials and design strongly suggest HELLENISTIC (300-100 BCE)  See here for specific examples from which to compare: https://www.coinart.net/Hellenistic.htm  

Given that your example could fit either, I'd look very closely at the radials. If they're strongly imprinted with large raised radials, I would conclude Hellenistic, and the earlier timeframe.  It shouldn't be too hard for you to make that call, given the link examples.

Cheers!

Skippy

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »
Probably made in Syro-Palestine during the 4th-5th centuries AD but difficult to be certain about authenticity from images alone.

The notion that a broken discus indicates Jewish use is largely a myth. Lamps from this region traditionally had large filling apertures and discuses were broken by all faiths simply as a practical measure. Please see my comments here:
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?69
David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity