Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chalkous Of Which Ptolemy?  (Read 890 times)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
Chalkous Of Which Ptolemy?
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:16:26 am »
I find these little coins confusing, and would appreciate any help with the attribution.

On this coin, I read ΠΤ (in exergue, upside down), [ΟΛ]ΕΜ (on the left), and [ΒΑ]ΣΙΛ (on the right). But then there's one little letter left, which appears to be Λ. Would that Λ denote Lathyros, making it Ptolemy IX? Or am I misreading it? Is it Ptolemy X or perhaps even Apion?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Chalkous Of Which Ptolemy?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:26 am »
I think everyone finds these little late Ptolemaic bronzes difficult.  I suspect they were issued seamlessly through several reigns, so it may not be possible to tie this down with certainty to any one ruler.  I hope our resident Ptolemaic expert on Ptolemaic AE will see this.  Nice specimen, by the way.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Chalkous Of Which Ptolemy?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:04:39 pm »
What is the strange X device below the head-dress of Isis? Find that and your problem is solved.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity