Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed with Byzantine seal  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Help needed with Byzantine seal
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:16:53 am »
Hello,
I have trouble attributing and translating this Byzantine seal (7g exactly, 18.55mm). The obverse has a Theotoke Boethe monogram, which I presume would point towards an 8th century date.
I am having more trouble with the reverse. It reads:
+KOO (?)
ANTIN(OV)
CTPAT
LAT(OV)

It seems that the seal mentions a Konstantinos, who was a general (Strategos) of a district ending in LATOS (?). I looked through http://pbw.kcl.ac.uk/ unsuccesfully. Can anyone help me any further?

Offline vercingetorix

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re: Help needed with Byzantine seal
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:48 am »
It certainly belongs to a Kwonstantinos, hence the monogram. I don't have the catalogs with me to check his name and office but shouldn't be too hard to find.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

pant

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:54:39 am »
KONSTANTINOS 
STRATELATES

7(second half) - 8th century

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:45:20 am »
Thanks Pant, for the 'Stratelates'. That surely fits the letters on the seal. But how do you arrive at your date? I could find one Konstantinos Stratelates on a seal from around 1100 AD (DO 47.2. 1302). But I bet there were more generals with that common name.

Can the diameter help? Or the Theotoke-monogram?

And what about the omega in Konstantinos. Those seem like two O's.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity