Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Ptolemy? Strange portrait.  (Read 1319 times)

Offline epmunt

• Consul
Which Ptolemy? Strange portrait.
« on: September 17, 2007, 01:39:28 pm »
Which Ptolemy? Strange portrait. ID help.

Manzikert

Re: Which Ptolemy? Strange portrait.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:45:20 pm »
Hi epmunt,

I think this is one of Ptolemy IV Philopator's dated tetradrachms from Phoenicia, Svoronos 1207, see coin 7 on http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc038p001p.html, and http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc001p169t.html for the description.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline epmunt

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:57 am »
HI Alan,

Many thanks! What a handy links. Now I learned how to id Ptolemy. It isn't easy.

Best regards,

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
Why do you say this coin was struck in Phoenicia?  It does come after the Phoenician coins of Ptolemy IV, but it is under a new section heading and does not relate to the previous coins.  The AP monogram is a date and not a mint mark.

Manzikert

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 10:12:24 am »
Hi epmunt, Howard

Howard is right. The mint will presumably be Alexandria, and I must have carried the 'Phoenician' bit over from the previous page when I was scanning through the pages on Svoronos.

My apologies for the error epmunt :(

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity