Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic Alexander Tetradrachm  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Celtic Alexander Tetradrachm
« on: February 13, 2022, 11:59:47 am »
Good evening,

Picked this coin up and was wondering if someone could tell me something more about it. It's imitating an Alexander issue from Memphis. I very often see Philip II tets but I havn't had any luck finding alexander ones. Would these be minted by the same danubian celts that minted the Philip II?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

Kilian

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Celtic Alexander Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 06:15:04 pm »
I don't have any wisdom to share, but I like the coin!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 02:27:33 am »
Yes, there also have been imitations of Alexander tetradrachms by the "celtic" peoples of the Balcans:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=alexander+zeus++tetradra*++imit*&category=1-2&lot=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=1

Partially these coins have their own style and can be attributet with some certainty to certain regions, but I'm not familiar enough with this topic to know more  :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:31:45 pm »
In addition to western and eastern Celtic imitations, imitations were also made in the eastern provinces of the Seleucid empire.  This may be one of the eastern imitations, which remain too little known and studied.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 07:04:21 am »
Nice coin!  Long ago, I picked up one such "barbarous" Alexander III tetradrachm from the Lower Danube (here) and another of Phillip III from the "Carpathian" region (here).  I still don't know much about those issues.

Martin Price lists several examples of the Memphis type, #3970-3971 in the British Museum Collection. The device on the reverse lower left is a rose.  He also lists 44 "barbarous" examples, Plates CLI to CLIII, but none having a Memphis prototype like yours. 

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 01:42:56 pm »
Thanks for the input and yours surely are from a more artistic die! I found another die match that sold 4 years ago but other then that I havn't been able to succesfully find a third. Very intriguing piecesn this one in particular seemed to have circulated for a long time.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity