Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ERIC: The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins on Numiswiki  (Read 31333 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
Re: ERIC: The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins on Numiswiki
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »
ERIC is now complete and all links are working! Click the link below to visit the main page.
Comments and corrections are welcome.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Click Here to visit The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins Main Page

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 07:12:13 am »
The rulers in the online ERIC are listed in chronological order on the lefthand side of each page according to the printed book. With over 200 rulers in the list, sometimes finding a single entry might take a while. You can use FORVM's search function at the bottom of the page in the discussion board, or the Numiswiki search bar on the lefthand frame in Numiswiki to search for a specific ruler. Use the following pattern to search ERIC for a specific entry:

"ERIC [space] [hyphen] [space] [ruler name]"

For example, to find the entry for Augustus, type the following into the search bar: ERIC - Augustus
Or to find Constantine I, type the following: ERIC - Constantine I         

... etc.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Click Here to visit The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins Main Page

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
Another search tool that might be handy is Edit/Find (Ctl F) allowing input of the string you figured out by keying the coin.  For example type in B5, O3, R22, T025 and you will be taken to the line where that coin is listed.   More useful is to just search for part of the string (eg T025) if you want to find all listings for this reverse type no matter what legends it is used with.  ERIC I may not have enough listings to make this needed but it wold be a great help if the database were the size of ERIC II:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=65466.0

This works with Windows IE and Firefox.  I don't know what is available on MAC or other browsers.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:19 am »
How could it work differently on Firefox and other machines?  In the last decade or more, IE, such as it is, has worked alike on all sorrs of machines.  For the last five years the IT world has not been any sort of contest between brands or operating systems, least of all on line.  As you know, Mac owners have no problems at ll with any of the Google stuff, all of it non-Mac.
Pat L.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 06:56:24 am »
The search / find functionality of Apple's Safari browser, as well as any others (Opera, Chrome, Netscape, etc.) should work just as well whatever computer system you use. The Numiswiki search should help you find a specific ruler page, while Doug's suggestion of the text search function within the browser can point you to a specific coin entry on that page.

Regards,
Danny

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »
Fantastic work! I've said many times that purchasing a copy of ERIC was what really drove me into 'real' Roman coin collecting (before that, it had been eBay uncleaneds...), so even though I hardly use the book anymore, I still have a soft spot for it. And it is great for showing non-collectors, with all the great colour plates.

Congrats!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:05 am »
Let me add to the chorus in saying you have done a great job on making this easy-to-use reference even easier to use by putting it online!  Thank you!
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 06:28:26 am »
If anyone is interested in having a PDF copy of ERIC I, here is the download link:
http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com/ERIC.zip

Also check out ERIC II here:
http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com/eric2.html

And Doug Smith's review of the second edition:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=65466.0

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:19 am »
Also, Joe made a new link in Numiswiki for the online ERIC. Simply typing in ERIC will bring you to the ERIC homepage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity