Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian Denarius but light  (Read 927 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Vespasian Denarius but light
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:57:53 am »
Hi All,

I bought a single uncleaned coin the other day, and got a couple of extras thrown in.  This was one of them.  I have half cleaned it, and I think it is
Vespasian Denarius 17mm diameter. Struck 69-71 AD. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right / COS ITER T-R POT, Pax seated left, holding branch and caduceus. RIC 10, BMCRE 26; RSC 94h

Is that correct?

Also, the weight seems remarkably low at 2.4g.  Sure there is some wear, but I would not have thought that much.  I cannot find any other Vespasian of this type under 3.2g.  Am I missing something?

regards

Mark

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Vespasian Denarius but light
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:28:07 am »
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 05:30:46 am »
OK, so you think 2.4g is fine for a coin in this condition?

regards

Mark

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:34:02 am »
From what I see, it looks like a genuine coin to me and looking through FORVM's catalog there are quite a few worn
ones with a weight of about 2.5g.

Even 2.3g:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Andreas Reich

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:38:53 am »
The attribution is correct and the weight poses no problems. Coins early in Vespasian's reign were often irregularly struck.

A nice freebie you got there!

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:59:57 am »
Excellent, thanks All.  It was just a black lump when I looked at it, although I thought it may be Vespasian from what I could see from the shape of the head.  With some lemon juice and, believe it or not, "miracle metal cream" this appeared.

Now if only I collected Vespasians instead of Constantines  :laugh:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity