Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Translation of Provincial Trajan  (Read 429 times)

Offline Ian S5

• Legionary
Translation of Provincial Trajan
« on: November 29, 2021, 07:46:24 pm »
Hello All

Brand new to this site and collecting. Recently purchased a coin here (fixed on adoptive emperors, both imperial and provincials), and being that I am new I am having issues with the reverse of the coin

"COL PRI FL AVG CAESARENSI". The "COL PRI FL" is what I am hung up on.

COL = colonia?
PRI is princep?
FL = ?

I have found the BMC entry on their site also in the online RPC site, but no translation.

Any help is appreciated. Also any generic advice on where to research the translations is also helpful for me.

Thanks much!

Ian

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Translation of Provincial Trajan
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:19:04 pm »
Hi, IanCaesarea Maritima.  COLONIA PRIMA FLAVIA AVGUSTA CAESARENSI.  The city was raised to the rank of Roman Colony by Vespasian (Flavian Dynasty), and starting with Domitian began minting coins in Latin, instead of Greek.  Thus, "(of the) First Flavia Colony Caesarea Augusta".  The inscriptions for Caesarea were usually in the nominative case, indicating the city as the minting authority, but on some coins of Trajan and Hadrian, like yours, the inscription is in the genitive case, indicating possession. If you post a photo I can give you a more complete reference from Kadman's "Coins of Caesarea Maritima".  Hope this helps!

edit: I just saw the one sold recently on this site that I think must be yours.  Beautiful coin!

Offline Ian S5

• Legionary
Re: Translation of Provincial Trajan
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:49 pm »
Many many thanks.

FLavian was a thought but without the backstory you provided, it didnt make sense to me

All coins are guaranteed for eternity