Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: coinage of Aeolian ?  (Read 604 times)

Offline Gianluca G

• Consul
coinage of Aeolian ?
« on: November 15, 2021, 07:03:35 am »
Hello, I would like to be able to identify this coin.
Weight: grams 3,5
Diameter (considering the greatest extension) 18.5 mm
Metal is not magnetic.
As a typology, especially on the reverse, it reminds me a lot of the coinage of Aeolian (Asia Minor) Temnos 300-200 BC.
but I rely on your most expert opinions.
Thanks for your help

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: coinage of Aeolian ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 07:10:07 am »
I may be mistaken, but I have doubts about authenticity.  Style, surfaces all look wrong to me.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 08:19:42 am »
Ah, now this is clearly a modern fake of an ancient coin, or at least a la an ancient coins.  It is clearly trying to be an ancient Greek coins though the flan and style do not match at all.

This makes me now think that the others are also just fantasies - a la the Byzantine.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Gianluca G

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:27:18 am »
Ah, now this is clearly a modern fake of an ancient coin, or at least a la an ancient coins.  It is clearly trying to be an ancient Greek coins though the flan and style do not match at all.

This makes me now think that the others are also just fantasies - a la the Byzantine.

SC

Thanks a lot for your reply, In fact they come from the same lot, that i bought several years ago. I'm noticing that this lot was a mix of original coins and fake coins. Too late for me to get disappointed, it's my fault because i didn't check as well the lot before. I'm delused, btw this it helps me to learn more. Thanks again.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity