Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stolen in Mail - Pontic Kingdom, Mithradates VI Eupator, Silver Drachm  (Read 986 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Stolen in the US Mail

Pontic Kingdom, Mithradates VI Eupator, c. 120 - 63 B.C., Silver Drachm

SL96009. Silver drachm, SNGvA 6684, Recueil Géneral 10, Suppl. A, pl. 10; Boston MFA 2337; Waddington 132; Callataÿ pl. 1, NGC Ch VF, strike 4/5, surface 1/5 (6155179-006), Pergamon (Bergama, Turkey) mint, weight 3.649g, maximum diameter 19.0mm, May - August 95 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Mithradates VI right; reverse stag grazing left, star in crescent with horns up on left, BAΣIΛEΩΣ (king) above, EYΠATOPOS over BΣ (year 202) and Theophanes(?) monogram below stag, all within Dionysiac wreath of ivy with berries; from the Errett Bishop Collection, with NGC certification card, not in a plastic holder (slab), NGC Lookup; extremely rare, about a dozen known specimens, of which five are in museums.

See the listing in the Forum shop.

STOLEN in the US MAIL. If seen please report to FORVM ANCIENT COINS.

We refunded the customer over $2727 for this coin and postage. The consignor was paid in full, less our consignment fee. Unfortunately the shipment was not insured for Forum. The money came straight out of my pocket. The amount was almost enough to pay for one of my daughters college tuition bills, due this month. Ouch. If you see that coin, please let me know. I want it back.

See the Genuine - Lost or Stolen Report in the Fake Coin Reports
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Stolen in Mail - Pontic Kingdom, Mithradates VI Eupator, Silver Drachm
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 03:51:09 am »
If the coin reappeared this thread and the report that the coin is stolen should be updated or deleted.

it is relisted in Forvm shop and has now a higher item number so I assume it was intentionally relisted and not an error.

SL93950. Silver drachm, SNGvA 6684, Recueil Géneral 10, Suppl. A, pl. 10; Boston MFA 2337; Waddington 132; Callataÿ pl. 1, NGC Ch VF, strike 4/5, surface 1/5 (6155179-006), Pergamon (Bergama, Turkey) mint, weight 3.649g, maximum diameter 19mm, die axis 0o, May - August 95 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Mithradates VI right; reverse stag grazing left, star in crescent with horns up on left, BAΣIΛEΩΣ (king) above, EYΠATOPOS over BΣ (year 202) and Theophanes(?) monogram below stag, all within Dionysiac wreath of ivy with berries; from the Errett Bishop Collection, with NGC certification card, not in a plastic holder (slab), NGC Lookup; extremely rare, about a dozen known specimens, of which five are in museums; $3000.00

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?radd=1&vpar=18&zpg=107381

Here it is still listed as stolen

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=21197

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Stolen in Mail - Pontic Kingdom, Mithradates VI Eupator, Silver Drachm
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 06:29:10 am »
Yes, the post office returned a half destroyed soaking wet envelope two months after it was reported lost. I will remove the report. It has a new item number because the consignor was paid for the coin when it sold the first time. Now I own it, so it has a new number.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity