Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine II Virtvs Caesarvm NN  (Read 964 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantine II Virtvs Caesarvm NN
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:16 pm »
From same dies/mold as gold version already in fakes gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0

Intended as variation of gold 1.5 solidi medallions RIC VII Constantinople 102-106 (unlisted for Constantine II).

Listed as 24mm 2.98g

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine II Virtvs Caesarvm NN
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:37:59 am »
Just noticed that HD Rauch 90 #995 6.54g is also a die match to the fake in the reports, and seems to have similar surface defects as well as identical weight.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »
New fake coin reports please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:41:28 am »
Sure that they are not only cast fakes or transfer die fakes?

I am not 100% convinced that the Gold medaillon sold at auction must be fake, but can not exclude the possibility.

Working link to the one in fake reports

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-8002

The silver coin from first post is clearly cast. And the Gold one in fake reports has soft details and the surface has been altered.
The Gold medaillon sold at auction has surface problems and the gold coin in fake reports has the same surface problems but softer and it is sadly not possible to tell for sure if the one in fake reports has the same scratch on the reverse (much softer of course) as the one sold at auction (but then part of the dotted border at reverse must have been recutted into mould).

My problem is that coins from the same dies exist in Bronze and I am not sure if in ancient times the same dies were used to strike Gold and Bronze coins.
Maybe the Bronze one was a trial piece?
Or if these dies were used to strike  Bronze  coins and someone made a recutted transfer die from one of these to produce transfer die fakes in gold from these dies.
The auction house, that sold the Gold Medaillon has offered in the same auction the Bronze coin from same dies as next lot, so they knew about it, that coins from these dies exit in Bronze and Gold. "aus den gleichen Stempeln wie die vorhergehende Losnummer."

The style looks very coinvincing and I assume, that at least the Bronze one is authentic (but need better pictures of the patina to tell for sure)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 09:02:20 am »
Can anyone tell me please if this die link is plausible/possible or not?

It was offered by German auction house Auction 193  10-12 Mar 2021 lot 531 this year.

It is from the same reverse die and looks very suspicious, I did it in fake folder immediatley fater I saw it, it is listed as unsold but I am not sure if it was not actually withdrawn.

RĂ–MISCHES KAISERREICH.
CONSTANTIUS II. Augustus 337-361. entfällt. RIC -. .

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:09:48 am »
And currently is another one for sale start price 30000+ Euro
It has the same rough areas on face and throat and same scratch as the authentic mother.
There exist original Lipanoff transfer dies fakes (dots of dotter border etc were recut) , possibly some cast fakes and some transfer die fakes made from a Lipanoff transfer die fake.
I own a transfer die fake made from a Lipanoff transfer die fake.

Picture 1 +2 starting on top scratch on reverse (mine has the scratch, too).
Picture 3 below the one for sale
Picture 4 comparison
Picture 5 my fake

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 08:21:06 am »
I agree: fake.
  Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity