Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial Severus&Caracalla double portrait / Galley and lighthouse  (Read 702 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Hi,
I cannot attribute this coin. Maybe someone recognizes it. All thoughts on region/style are also appreciated.

Confronted portraits of Septimius Severus and Caracalla
Galley sailing right, figure at the front, lighthouse behind with standing figure.
29mm; 16.04g

Regards
Gert

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Provincial Severus&Caracalla double portrait / Galley and lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:55:57 am »
Check coin n. O42223 here:

http://www2.rgzm.de/navis3/home/frames.htm

Struck at Laodicea mint (Syria)

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:05 am »
Luigi is correct:

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Laodiceia ad Mare. Septimius Severus and Caracalla. 198-211 AD.  Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right of Septimius vis à vis laureate and draped bust left of Caracalla / LIBERALITAS, large galley rowing right past the lighthouse of Laodiceia. Meyer, "Die Bronzeprägung von Laodikeia in Syrien 194-217," in JNG 37/38 (1987/1988), pg. 86, 95-98; Price & Trell pg. 42, 64 (wrongly attributed to Berytos).

Here's an ugly one I had not to long ago.

Barry Murphy

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:58:32 pm »
Thanks very much Luigi and Barry. I assume the attribution to Laodicea is based on a die link to a reverse with a Laodicea ethnic?
Regards
Gert

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
I don't know for sure, but probably the attribution to Laodicea has something to do with the cmk COL (Howgego 586) which appears on Barry specimen and on the one i suggested to check above.
Howgego records 87 coins of Laodicea with this cmk.
"Laodicea achieved the status of Colonia in AD 197/98" ... "The countermark was probably intended to allow older coins to circulate freely alongside the new issues of the colonia" (Howgego)

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »
No die links between this and other issues, but the portrait style, lettering style and flan preparation (bevelled) are the same as on issues with the city name on them.

Barry Murphy

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 02:15:36 pm »
Thanks again for the clarification. One last thing: it seems to me that the legend LIBERALITAS is something out of the ordinary for this depiction of a galley and a lighthouse. Any thoughts on that? Maybe because he funded building projects in the city because of its support in the war against Niger - including a lighthouse?
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity