Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magnetius victories and inscribed wreath  (Read 449 times)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
Magnetius victories and inscribed wreath
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:15:21 pm »
So on the bust there is magnetius I’m assuming and there is an A in the left field. on the reverse there is victories holding up a wreath with vot something inscribed and an s in the left field and a v in the right. In the mintmark I can only see SL. Thanks for all the help.

Weight: 3.64 g
18.8 mm

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Magnetius victories and inscribed wreath
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:03:13 am »
Yes  Magnentius, you can read D N MAGNEN...

My guess for for the mintmark is RSLG (Lugdunum)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:26:23 am »
Thanks for the help shanxi.

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:58:41 am »
The wreath is resting on a column, so  4th serie according to Bastien's corpus  (VIII-XII.350).

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:53:01 am »
Thank you for additional info amictus.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:11:29 am »
In theory it is from the fourth series.  However, the reduced size and off-set strike mean it might be imitative and from the time of the fifth or sixth series.

Bastien's series must be re-dated given the re-dating of Nepotian's usurpation.

His third series should be re-dated to September through December 351.  But taking into account the fifth and sixth series an ambiguous coin like yours should be dated September 351 to the end of 352.

Details of the re-dating can be found in my Koinon article, which is now available on academia.edu

https://www.academia.edu/41214464/Redating_Nepotians_Usurpation_and_the_Coinage_of_Magnentius 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:20 am »
Thank you Shawn for this interesting information. It is all new to me since I’m not very familiar with Magnentius, I will definitely be reading the entirety of your article.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity