Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Andronicus II ?  (Read 462 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Andronicus II ?
« on: November 12, 2022, 01:06:07 am »
Style reminds me of Adronicus II, Thessalonica mint. at first, came to me as sbvc2458, but that is not it.

possible concentric circles?

Rev: single figure, to right cross in circle, star above, to left is star lower field

1.43 g and 22mm acoss

what am I missing?

thoughts?

cw

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Andronicus II ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 04:25:07 pm »
SBCV 2383 of Andronicus II.
The device above left on the reverse is a Palaeologan monogram.
A very common type but good examples are hard to find - the two below are amongst the better ones I have on file.

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:06:24 pm »
Thanks Glebe.
CW

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 11:25:12 pm »
to add a touch more, thanks much for the help, I would not have caught that ID,  both Sears and Grierson do not mention the star in the lower right field or Palaeologan monogram above cross in cicle on left.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity