Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Poseidon Alexandria tet? ID help please  (Read 1223 times)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Poseidon Alexandria tet? ID help please
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:26:33 pm »
The fabric of this coin certainly looks like an Alexandria tet (12.44 g, 26 mm), A. Pius ? laur. hd. r., Poseidon stg. l. foot on prow holding cornucopiae and dolphin, but I just can't account for the odd reverse legend, something like EOI - SI (not in online resources including RPC; I do not have access to Dattari or Milne); what do all of you think?  Thanks for any / all help!
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Poseidon Alexandria tet? ID help please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:09:12 pm »
Archivum:

I don't think this is an Alexandrian issue even though Pius did issue a tetradrachm with a similar reverse in year 5. The style of your Poseidon does not match the Alexandrian one. I would be looking at the "O" to see if it was a theta date, and it does not look that way to me. The backward "S" might simply be a dolphin, but if that is the case, what is Poseidon holding in his right hand ?

The only inscription, other than a date, that would make sense is "POSEIDWN", but even that would be a long shot as the backward "S" on the coin would not resemble the actual Greek letter.

Iwaniw

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 10:37:17 pm »
PHOENICIA, Berytos. Antoninus Pius.

Looks like it reads COL B[ER] across the field.

Barry Murphy

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:17 pm »
Thanks for both these responses; the first letter seems to be  :GreeK_Sigma:, and I think that the fourth is indeed closer to reverse S than it is to a B.   Definitely an odd issue.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:42:21 am »
I'm 99.9% certain it's Berytos.

This is from CNG 41.

Barry

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 01:44:12 am »
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6754/?search&stype=ident&c=berytus&od=&rd=&rd_b=or&ri=&m=&d=&ri_ns=&od_b=or&od_ft=&rd_ft=&rno=1

Steve

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:28:54 am »
Thank you both; even with the skewed lettering on my coin, it's clear you're both right, and there's even a die-match with Barry's example to quell any lingering doubts.  I have never seen a non-Alexandrian coin that looks so much like something from Egypt; a neat little lesson.  Best wishes,

archivum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity