Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Greek AE22  (Read 599 times)

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
Help with Greek AE22
« on: September 16, 2021, 04:08:15 pm »
Below is a Greek AE with what looks like Zeus on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse. I've found potential matches from Pontos, Paphlagonia, and Bithynia, but without a legible reverse legend, I am stuck. I would appreciate any suggestions from you all who may catch something I've missed.

There is also a curious countermark just below Zeus' head which may start "TEA.." Any ideas on that countermark would also be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Diameter: 22.4 mm
Mass: 8.17 g

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help with Greek AE22
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 08:47:09 pm »
Dear Tim M and Board,

I believe this issue from Pergamum with Asclepius's head on the obverse, an eagle perched on a thunderbolt on the reverse, and the name of the magistrate Seleukos (Seleucus) written below the head in the genitive (i.e. "ΣEΛEYKOY" or "of Seleukos") strongly suggests your coin:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4684095

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
Re: Help with Greek AE22
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 01:06:52 pm »
You got it, Mark! Thank you!

Cheers,
Tim