Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bright blue green patina under Paraloid coating. Artificially coloured??  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
I started to clean this Paraloid coating off these coins with acetone and what I’m guessing is a fake patina has stayed on. I figured if it was a pigment fake patina the acetone would take it off too. Any chance it’s a real patina? Otherwise any thoughts on how I should keep cleaning them? If it’s worth it at all?

Offline JBF

• Caesar
It is not the specific gun bluing coin I mentioned.

The coin is an ancient bronze, I would think that any color you get from ancient bronze sculpture or other object, you could get with a bronze coin.
So you might look at bronze objects with what their coloring is. 

Patina, I believe, is an oxidization that protects the object, whether it be silver or bronze, unlike rust which is an oxidization which damages and eventually destroys iron objects.

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
Hmm yeah is this what the blue gun does? Think I can get it back to a more normal looking patina?? It looks freakish !

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
If acetone doesn't take it off I would think that's the real color.  I'd leave it alone.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity