Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander Sestertius  (Read 274 times)

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
Severus Alexander Sestertius
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:06:11 pm »
Hi,

Another one from the old hopeless box, but perhaps attributable to some degree at least.

I am not sure why, but I have been stuck on the idea that this is a coin of Gordian III.  I think I am wrong.

My observations are as follows:

1.) AE 28, 12.6 grams
2.) Laureate Bust Right,  I can make out PIVS (i think) at 2-3 o'clock.
3.) S-C, Eagle with spread wings?

Please help if you can.

Thanks

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Roman Sestertius (AE 28) Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »
Yep, almost hopeless.

I can read IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG on the obverse, ie Sev Alexander, but the reverse ...

I wonder what a long soak in olive oil and a some hours with a toothpick might do to this coin, it might even turn into something else than a slug, I believe.

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
Re: Roman Sestertius (AE 28) Help Please
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »
Thank you!  That helps for sure. As far as cleaning this one, I will probably give it a soak next time I get to cleaning. It's been awhile since I have done any of that.  :)  THANKS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity