Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NYINC dealer reputability  (Read 804 times)

redbeard

NYINC dealer reputability
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:30 am »
I'm a newbie.  One piece of advice I get is to buy fom reputable dealers.  Since I live in NYC, I will go to the coin show at the Waldorf Astoria this weekend.  I expect to learn a lot and maybe buy a coin or 2.   My question is this:

Would I be safe to trust all of the dealers there, or will there be some selling fakes?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: NYINC dealer reputability
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:27:45 am »
In general at these shows there will be genuine coin dealers selling genuine coins but that does not mean that there won't be the occasional fake coin. No one will intentionally sell fakes. You should not buy higher-value ancient coins from a dealer that has mostly modern coins and just very few ancients. No matter how much experience someone may have selling modern coins it does not mean anything when it comes to ancients, or not very much at least.

At the shows here there is the occasional dealer where you should be careful, these guys mostly set up their tables where the light is bad but I can't imagine they have them at the Waldorf Astoria, they're rare even here.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

hitchuk

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:47:34 am »
I've been attending the NY show for the last seven years.  I would bet my right arm that there is no dealer participating in this event that would knowingly sell a fake coin.  No one is perfect, and obviously some could pass by any dealer,  but you are dealing with the some of the most reputable dealers in the world here.   Nevermind the level of customers who are attending the show.  I can't imagine that any fake items would not come under quick scrutiny.

Prepare to really enjoy yourself, and be blown away by the dealers & their stock...
Stop by and say hello to Joe(Forum), he always has a nice spread!

Make sure you print yourself a discount admission coupon here:

http://www.nyinc.info/coupon.php

Enjoy.  See you there.

Roger

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
One thing to remember about the NYINC is that  one of the benefits for dealers being there is to have time to go around and check out other dealers inventory.  Alot of dealer to dealer transactions go on there.  If you have told you favorite dealer you are looking for certain types of coins, there is a chance that they will actually be looking for inventory that they  know their main clients want.  These are some of the top and most experienced dealers in the nation and the world.  They can smell out someone dealing in fakes in a heart beat.  As noted below that does not mean that an honest dealers hasn't been sold in a bulk lot a fake or two, or not had time to check a coin closely yet that they just bought.  But at the  NYINC I would bet that there is less of a chance of buying a fake then just about any other venue.  Remember the dealers at NYINC are professionals, this is there livelihood.  A good reputation is their lifeblood.
Ronn

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:14 pm »
As I mentioned on a previous thread in the Fake section, make sure the dealers you buy from have a strong background in anciant coin study and dealing. Ask if they are members of proffesional ancient coin dealer organizations, such as the ones whose logos Joe displays at this website, on his "resume" page. My experiance has been that those who are not members are not typicaly expert and will not vouch for their own ancient coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity