Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: nero aureus, is it genuine?  (Read 1816 times)

anthivs

nero aureus, is it genuine?
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:42 am »
Hello from Spain, so sorry about my english.
I like this Nero Aureus and the price is quite interesting. Can you tell me if is it geniune or a fake? THanks a lot!

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
Re: nero aureus, is it genuine?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:09:23 am »
Nobody can tell if an aureus is good only by a photo. modern fakes obtained by microfusion ar difficult to detect even with a microscope.
The best thing to do with aurei is to buy a pedigree
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:07:54 am »
I do not see any reason to condemn this coin but as Plinius said, it is impossible to authenticate an aureus (or most any coin 100% from a photo) from a photo. 

I have not, however, ever heard of microfusion.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:22 am »
This link can be interesting (sorry but it is in italian):
http://www.lamoneta.it/topic/37306-sullautenticita-degli-aurei-imperiali/page__hl__aurei

I think I mean pressofusion for microfusion...  ;)  It is casting in a mold at high pressure, bubbles are very little.
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:38 am »
Pedigree can be faked more easily than a coin itself. Well and good if verifiable but pretty much worthless if the last owner sold it anonymously, which is more and more often the case. Pedigree is interesting but unless a coin's ownership can be conclusively proven back a century or more it really isn't worth more than a COA, which is worth nothing at all, at least to this collector.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

anthivs

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »
but as far as you see, do you appreciate signs of forgery. I cannot see them. I think its geniune. PLASE tell me what do you see is wrong

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »
I see none, either. The coin looks fine.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

anthivs

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:41:41 pm »
Few people are sure that the coin is CAST and they appreciate bubbles on surface ( I DON´T)
And they say that the surface has been treated in order to elevate the NOSE of Nero, for intance.

The only detail i can you suspicious is a spot above the nero´s eye
here you are the picture

anthivs

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
her you are one picture with quality, where you can tell me all the suspicious details you find
need help, please , genuine aureus or not?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:37:23 am »
Again, I do not see any reason to condemn this coin but it is impossible to authenticate an aureus (or most any coin 100% from a photo) from a photo. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:56:05 pm »
There are some people who are hyper-suspicious, and see fakes where there are none. If you're not sure, don't buy it without independent authentication, in hand, from someone with the right qualifications. It's not worth taking the slightest risk with the sort of money you'd expect to pay for an aureus. but that being said, I can't see anything wrong. The only thing is, I wonder why you're considering blowing that much money without, as far as I can see, learning very much about the coins first!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:23:19 am »
Indeed! If you are this ucertain about this coin DON'T BUY IT! Although almost certainly genuine in my opinion (and most others, it would appear), you aren't going to be happy. Learn more about aurei and also how to spot fakes before spending so much. The seller's price ($1,300) is a good one for this piece but still an awful lot to spend on something that is never going to make you happy because, quite clearly, you are always going to be suspicious of whether you bought a real coin or not. Save the money, save yourself some grief, and let the coin go to someone else who will truly appreciate it.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:11:44 pm »
For that money you could get yourself some books, a bunch of cheaper coins, and start something which will keep you happy. Most of the interest lies in understanding the coins, not in mere posession of a pretty or two.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Maffeo

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:01 pm »
I don't want to be offensive and it's just my humble opinion, but I believe that if someone needs advice on whether an aureus is genuine or not, they shouldn't take the risk (and it's always a big risk!) of buying an aureus at all.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:10:27 pm »
Well said, Robert and Maffeo! WELL said!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity